Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rest in Peace, Murphy

Early this morning, after our walk, Mommy was reading her email and I heard her gasp. She picked up the phone right away. When she hung up the phone, she was crying.

I was sitting at my window perch and turned to see what was wrong. Mommy came over to the bed and lay down, sobbing. I came over to kiss her and make it all better. She explained that our pal Murphy Brown, Uncle Dave's pup, had passed away during the night. Mommy had called Uncle Dave to express her sympathies and he was very, very sad. Murphy Brown, gone? But she was just fine when we were over at the house for the cookout. I didn't understand.

I snuggled up and laid down next to Mommy, but turned my head back to look at her because I was concerned...I hate to see my Mommy upset or sad. We stared into one another's eyes for a long moment. I could see sadness in her eyes, but I could see fear too. Somehow, looking into her eyes, I understood that, when you have a pup, it is extra hard to hear about another pup dying...because you start to think about your own pup not being in your life anymore...and that is very, very sad.

As I wrote in my previous blog entry, I loved Murphy Brown, but she never really took to me. She was a quiet older pup and I was a rambunctious young pup who was often invading her territory and taking the attention of her people (not to mention that I stole one of her chewies just about every time I came over to her house). In those first few months I knew Murphy, I was pretty intense. I was insistent that she was going to like me. I guess I made a big pest of myself. :(


Mommy told me that Murphy didn't always have a very happy, peaceful life before she came to live with Uncle Dave. I figure that at least she had those 7 years of living with Uncle Dave--knowing she was loved, getting lots of belly rubs and lovins, having her brother, Paco, to play with for a few years and having a nice big back yard to run around and chase squirrels in (she loved to chase squirrels).
Mommy says Murphy was a sweet, gentle soul. I know she had to have been to put up with me being up in her face all the time.

I will miss you, Murphy Brown. We will all miss you.
Rest peacefully, my friend.

No comments: